June 6, 2009
Well, on June 6 there was a family reunion with my Grandma Bair's whole family. It was about 2 hours away and I was really excited to go and see everyone. I made a huge dish of homemade macaroni and cheese to take along. Brandon and I were both running in and out, loading Logan (Jacob was staying with my mom) as well as all of our necessities: toys, bag of tricks, treats, and clothes for Logan, purse, food, keys... keys?... KEYS!.. We locked out car keys in the house.
Fabulous. I had a huge pan of mac and cheese, a kid with limited supplies, no car keys to leave, and no extra hidden house key to get back in.
After trying all the doors and windows, we called our landlord, Randy, who said he would be at the house to unlock it in about an hour. We decided to enjoy our time and walk over to the library (about 1/4 mile away.) We hit up a garage sale on the way back and finally landed on our back deck where we waited. and waited.. and waited... Randy finally showed up but was absolutely no help. He didn't have the right key! This is his house! How did he not know which key he needed? I mean, come on!
He informed us that he was busy and would be back in about 5 hours. 5 HOURS?!?!?! Yes. 5 hours. After we had already waited 2. Great. (and, let me state, that his house, where the key was, is about 10 minutes away from ours.)
So.. what to do.. we couldn't sit in the yard all day. We don't really know our neighbors.. especially not enough to crash in on them. (although I did take the mac and cheese over to one)
We thought about walking or taking the bus to the mall... ugh. The mall is no fun. Then we got the bright idea to take the bus downtown.. We both had our UM ID cards, which lets you ride for free, which is great! We had no idea what bus ran where, so we started walking until we found a bus stop that we figured headed downtown. Sure enough, it did.
Enjoying his ride
So, we got downtown.. Now what?
More snacks
Walking along the streets of Ann Arbor..
We stopped to eat lunch at a new restaurant called "Blue Tractor." It had been a long day already (and we had no idea what else was in store for us.)
After lunch, we decided to head to the Hands on Museum (again, we have a pass, so yeah for free!)
While walking to the museum, we heard music and decided to check it out. There's always stuff going on in Ann Arbor.. Well, as we approached I started feeling slightly out of place.. then I realized why. This was an African American Festival! I was bummed that I had already eaten because they had BBQ all over the place that looked and smelled soooo good!
They had a petting zoo, which Logan loved!!
And a bouncie! (for free! woohoo!)
When we had finished getting stared at, listening to rap, and looking at black power tee shirts, we headed over to the Hands on Museum.
Making a giant bubble!
Logan LOVES this penguin toy.
We still hadn't heard from Randy, so we stopped for some coffee at a great little coffee shop called Comet Coffee. It is sooo good!
Randy called to tell us that he had unlocked the house, so we decided to go home. We looked in our "Ride Guide" for the nearest bus stop and headed that way. Too bad we didn't look at the times. We were about a block away from the bus stop when it passed us. What?? We couldn't make it, so we figured, "No biggie.. We'll just wait 15 minutes for the next one " Right?.. No. Not right.
We checked the times and realized that the bus doesn't run ever 15 minutes on the weekend. It runs every hour. Crap. We were tired and done with our day. We were looking forward to going home! So what did we do?.. We walked. That's right. We walked. Which sounded ok in theory until we realized it was about 4 miles. I was glad that I didn't wear heels, but I wouldn't say that my sandals were exactly comfortable.
Logan fell asleep on the walk home. He had a giant day and was all tuckered out.
I have to say, the day was really nice. Brandon and I (and Logan too) got to spend the whole day together.. no tv, no computer, no work, and no possibility of escaping one another. Maybe we'll lock the keys in the house more often.
2 comments:
What a day!!! I know you are upset b/c you have to move again, but that landlord sounds like a complete IDIOT!! You guys certainly made the best out of that situation :)
When you had a lemon...you made lemonade. What a fun day it! It looked like Logan really had fun (although I am sure you were missed at the Grandam Bair's.
Post a Comment