Friday, December 19, 2008

Goodwill

I have always loved shopping at thrift stores.. I love finding new and treasured things for cheap cheap cheap. This is something about me that you may not know, although Dwight knows that he hates my $0.50 tractor tee from Goodwill that is splattered with bleach from dying my hair. So an adventure to the Thrift shop made for some great memories.

I was hunting for books to decorate with. A huge find was a beautiful coffee table book on Croatia.. Oh how I would love to be there right now. Previously $90.. Full of gorgeous photos and lots of memories for only $4.50. And lots of Reader's Digest and various travel books, $1.00 each. Gorgeous. A set of Illustrated Science and Invention Encyclopedias. Full of information and brought a smile to Brandon's face.. $0.50 each

But my best find of all was a whole set of books that I had when I was around Jacob's age. The Walt Disney Fun to Read Library. A set of 19 books that brought me so much joy for 19 weeks and beyond.

I would anxiously await my grocery store trips with my mom... Knowing that each week, the next book in the series would be on display. I read these books over and over when I was growing up.. so when I saw the set at the thrift score, I was extatic. He may not have the memory of awaiting each week anxiously, but instead is awaiting each night anxiously.

Each night, before he goes to bed, we read the next story in the series. He waits all day... This morning he woke up and told me "Mom! We get to read number 10 tonight!!" Oh, the joy a $0.50 book brings.



One of my favorites, Thumper's Little Sisters.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love that jakey loves books a child after my heart too... it's the best thing you can ever do for your kids instill the love of reading... and he definately loves to read.. an attention span unparalleled at his age!! if they can read/comprehend they can excel in any academic area...such a cute post! Let's take him to the book store in Cali, i'd love to pick books out with him!!!